Jim Leach's Reasons

Usually, when I travel alone, I watch TV, but I'm in New York city and the city is great for walking around.  So I haven't watched any of the convention. Based on the commentary, there are two speeches I need to read or watch.  Jim Leach, Republican congressman, on why he supports Barack Obama:

The party that once emphasized individual rights has gravitated in recent years toward regulating values. The party of military responsibility has taken us to war with a country that did not attack us. The party that formerly led the world in arms control has moved to undercut treaties crucial to the defense of the earth. The party that prides itself on conservation has abdicated its responsibilities in the face of global warming. And the party historically anchored in fiscal restraint has nearly doubled the national debt, squandering our precious resources in an undisciplined and unprecedented effort to finance a war with tax cuts.

It's a pretty thorough indictment, but how much of it can be fairly tied to John McCain? My sense used to be that McCain will be better on these aspects than Bush. However, the way McCain is running his campaign is making me waver: maybe the McCain of 2000 was an aberration and the bellicose McCain who wants to go to war with Iraq, Iran, Russia, etc. is his true nature.

Guesses on the second speech I've decided to watch?

No comments:

Post a Comment