The has-been magazine selects a moldy phenomenon

I hadn't seen or read Time magazine in a long time when I went to the dentist's office yesterday.  

With everyone trying to use up their healthcare flex account (some thing you can thank healthcare lobbying for), the only appointment I got was the last one of the day.   The hygenist was running late (why do dental hygienists have to work in dentists' offices? This one is because of dentists lobbying state legislators).  So, I had to wait.

Anyway, Time magazine.  My choices at the dentist's were:
  1. People magazine
  2. Walking back into the cold, to the car to get my Nook or 
  3. Time magazine
I choice Time.

The first four pages were pharmaceutical advertisements. As were the last four.  What gives? And the articles -- on Sarah Palin, on Palestinian youth growing up behind the wall -- were all very anodyne.  The whole magazine had a musty air about it. Is this because only old people read the dead tree version anymore?

I bring up Time magazine because Mark Zuckerberg, of Facebook, apparently got selected "Time Man of the Year 2010".  By  now, of course, Facebook has ceased to be the new thing on the block.  All the hype that used to be associated with web software is now associated with cool hardware (capacitive touch, anyone?).  

Time, the has-been, selects a phenomenon slightly past its sell-by date.  Typical.

No comments:

Post a Comment