Out of paper, out of mind: why e-books mean less loyal readers

I was explaining to some one why I didn't have any jet lag.  "I knew that I was arriving in London at midnight," I explained, "so I forced myself to stay awake the entire flight even though I'd barely had any sleep the night before."  Essentially, I'd had my jet lag on the plane where there was nothing much to do any way.

"So what did you do to keep yourself awake? Watch movies?"

"No, I whipped through five books."

"What books did you read?"

"Umm ... let's see. I read one of Terry Pratchett's Discworld books."  (Equal Rites) They hadn't heard of Terry Pratchett, so I explained that his books were a nice combination of sci-fi and PG Wodehouse.

"Then, I read Loser Liberalism." I summarized the gist of that book and then I struggled to recall any of the others.

This is one of the problems with reading e-books on my Nook. When you read a physical book, you see the book cover with title and author every time you open the book. But an e-book opens to the page you left it at, so that constant reinforcement is no longer there.  As a result, I often struggle to remember titles and authors.

I had to pull out my laptop and look in Chrome's Downloads directory to recall the others.  In case you are curious: Tragedy of Arthur, Buddha in the Attic and something else that has since rolled off the directory and off my mind.  Of the lot, the only one I'd recommend (in case you are not a fan of Terry Pratchett) is Buddha in the Attic. It's about a bunch of Japanese mail order brides and their lives in California, told in the collective voice. Still, discount my recommendation by the fact I couldn't even remember the title of the book until I actively looked for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment