Kinsella's got my number

Ugh. I just finished reading a chick-lit book ... and ... I actually enjoyed it. This is not the kind of thing I would normally admit in public, but I do also like to post about books I enjoyed reading. So, here goes.

A few months ago, I was browsing my public library's e-book site.  In a physical library, a book can be placed in only one section and so, Sophie Kinsella's "I've got your number" would have been safely esconsed in "Romance", far from any shelf I would be browsing. Online, though, it was cross-listed in "literature" (what snarky soul would do such a thing?) and I misclicked, mistakenly putting her book on hold.

And so, last week, when the library informed me that I could download the book now, I did.  I'd completely forgotten that this was a chick-lit book.  By the time I got to the third chapter, I was hooked, though, and so I ended up reading the whole thing.

Of course, you can see the romantic angle coming about 30 pages in, so the book is not thrilling or anything. There is nothing I know now that I didn't know when I started the book. There was no uplift of any other kind either. There is precious little social commentary. Still, it is a fun, happy book and I strongly recommend it if you want a light, breezy book that you can read with only a tenth of your brain active. You deserve the break.

No comments:

Post a Comment