The old fangled way of taking a photograph

Thursday evening (it's Saturday morning for me now: I'm blogging from Sydney airport, but it "feels" like it was last evening), A. and I took advantage of a 5-hour layover in Los Angeles to catch up with R., someone I who I went to elementary school with in Africa. R. brought her cousin along. A young, teenage cousin. We asked the cousin to take a picture of the three of us at the Tapas restaurant.

When I go on long trips, when I'm not sure when/if I'll be able to come across a battery charger or if the voltage/plugpoints will fit, I make sure to turn the LCD screen on the back of my digital camera off because it is a power hog. Besides, I've found that photographs taken at arms length have a greater tendency to shake -- if you squish your camera against your face, that's a
great way to stabilize it. So, I take most photographs the old-fashioned way: by looking through the view finder, not by composing it on a LCD screen.

Anyway, we asked the young girl to take a photograph and I told her to look through the viewfinder. She had no idea. She kept the camera at arms length and said she didn't see anything. I pointed out the eyehole to her, but she still couldn't get the idea that you could look through that peephole to take a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment