Custom magazine: good concept, but not better than RSS

I signed up for a magazine (Mine) that consists of articles pulled out of various publications from the Time Warner group, based on what they think I'd be interested in. The claim is that is personalized.

The ads are personalized too. And over-the-top creepy. I don't know why Lexus thinks I've been buying gold bars (!). Or for that matter, why I would be interested in a Lexus.

The article selection is quite good, though. I estimate that I'll read 7 of the 10 articles in the first issue -- a far greater percentage than I would in any of the component magazines. So, this "personalized magazine" does have a better hit-rate than the individual magazines.

But I fail to see why this concept is better than my RSS Reader.


No comments:

Post a Comment